Sunday, July 22, 2012

This is England...

The clouds over England have parted rather nicely to a warm 28 C. The vacation begins. I landed at Heathrow at 11 am having left the States at 11 pm. My eyes red from being awoken for breakfast and to a British voice yelling too excitedly that he had landing cards. In reality you don't need them to land but if one wants to see the rest of Britain you must comply -- a precursor to a rather regimented and bureaucratic society.

I met my mini cab driver, Ahmad Sultan, at Costa Coffee in the newly redone Terminal 5. I felt important as I picked him out from a throng of drivers holding names of other no doubt important feeling people. Having been to London many times the windshield tour from Heathrow to Edgware was not a priority so I attempted a nap. Until Ahmad droned on about petrol prices and the upcoming election in America (as they call it here). A conversation about petrol prices and a gas / petrol price comparison truly depressed poor Ahmad. In the US, we pay about $3.70 per gallon in the America and in UK they pay about £1.35 per liter. At current exchange rates that is $8.00 per gallon...wow. About 47p is the real price per liter; the rest is a petrol tax and the VAT. Ahmad also commiserated that they pay some £2,000 per year in car insurance. And the mini cab swayed on smoothly through roundabouts...

One thing you must understand is that there is some pride held by mini cab drivers. Mini cabs are an alternative taxi service to the famous Black Cabs. The source of this pride? Unknown. They seem to despise Black Cab drivers and the perceived arrogance held by the Knowledge achievers. The Knowledge Test takes years to achieve because they have to memorize 25,000 streets and 20,000 landmarks within a six mile radius of Charing Cross in London. Ahmad giggled when he said he saw a Black Cab with a Tom Tom. He says in an Indian accent, "you tell me, why he need Tom Tom if he has Knowledge?" Perhaps not pride but envy?

On and on it went sprinkled with an occasional "really?", "wow", and "uh huh" from my tired brain. Wonderfully thought provoking topics included why people are gay in Hollywood and handling traffic in roundabouts - a skill that is proudly British.

After Ahmad disposed of me at my in-laws, day one was largely spent at my in-laws reunited with my girls. Later, shopping at Sainsburys in Edgware yielded 50 pounds of English chocolates -- weight not currency! The India vs Sri Lanka cricket ODI capped the day with an Indian victory.

The second day started with a brisk speed walk through Canons Park (a 25 year routine) and the P90x Ab Ripper X exercise. During breakfast I recieved a lecture on Unit Trusts (an investment strategy) from my father-in-law. It was a common tactic when I first got married but twenty-six years later he still doubts my ability to financially support his princess! I didn't brag about my ability to generate 18% out of dog stocks collared with options.

Then it was off to Covent Garden and Piccadilly Square. I made my international debut as an assistant street performer for Arizona Jones. Yes, he looked like Indiana Jones. He broke dried spaghetti from my hands with a whip and I held a pole while he climbed up to juggle swords and break more spaghetti! You had to be there and yes there are pictures. The Hokie Nation is everywhere! A fellow pole holder, Brian from New Zealand, was a 1983 graduate in Materials Engineering from Virginia Tech. Brian refused to do silly things for the act and was promptly replaced with Paul. Game on. Paul and I were made to perform silly things and hopefully the video won't make You Tube.

Window shopping followed and followed -- sorry but men's feet are not made for it. I perked up as we approached a store called "United Nude" but alas, sorry boys it was only a shoe store. Moving along with nothing to report. The sidewalk cafe sandwiches punctuated with vanilla ice cream and Cadbury Flake made a nice treat. We also purchased tickets for Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theater for Monday night! It was neat watching live statues and one of them was a knight that pretended to kill Kelsey when photographed. So much for knights and princesses...chivalry is truly dead. It was fun walking through China Town and laughing at store names like Wong Kie.

Beer with Umesh the cousin at a local pub will cap the night. That is profoundly England...

No comments: